Friday, April 18, 2008

Creative Employment Agreements

I was chatting with a coworker today about some company issues, and I had offhandedly mentioned a thought I've had over the past few years; that being, putting something in your employment contract/offer letter/acceptance/etc. that wasn't already there.

In my case, had I remembered it when I joined this company; this is an old, old thought that I've never followed through on; I would have specified:

  • Any "team building" exercise FOR the sake of team building, I would be free to opt-out of.
  • I am not required to attend weekly status meetings.
  • I am not required to submit weekly status reports. I would of course couch both of these in terms of being perfectly happy to provide relevant status updates to my manager, just not in the "Management 101", Andersen Consulting style TPS reports and meetings.
  • Probably something about meetings. This is a little easier; one can just not accept invitations if it's not convenient, which I often do already.
Naturally the company would be perfectly within their rights to NOT hire me with these riders on the contract and I accept that. It just seems like these types of things would be as much or more easily negotiated than the standard pay or vacation time items.

Has anyone done anything like this? How'd it work out?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home